Upcoming Events – Riverside Area, CA
- “The Failure of Friendship in Frankenstein” – Lecture by Dr. George Haggerty, from his upcoming book Queer Friendship. Scheduled for Fall 2018 at UC Riverside. More information TBA.
- Riverside Dickens Festival – Annual festival celebrating nineteenth-century/Victorian literature. Features a Mary Shelley impersonator and entertaining public lectures about nineteenth-century literary figures.
- Opening of Mark Glassy and Frankenstein: Men of Many Parts – The Special Collections Exhibit at the Eaton Collection of Science Fiction & Fantasy will open in Fall 2018! More info coming soon.
Upcoming Events – Nationwide Conferences
- Technologies of Frankenstein – Academic conference at the Stevens Institute of Technology (Hoboken, New Jersey). March 7-9, 2018. CFP Here.
- 2018 International Health Humanities Consortium Conference – The Frankenstein@200 Academic conference will explore the medically-based ethical dilemmas and the relevance of Frankenstein in the moral imagination today. Stanford University (Stanford, CA). April 20-22, 2018. CFP Here.
- Frankenstein at 200 – Multidisciplinary conference at Washington University (St. Louis, MO). October 13, 2018. Also includes Frankenstein-themed orchestral and theatrical performances throughout the month of October. CFP Here.
- The Curren(t)cy of Frankenstein – Multidisciplinary conference at Washington University Medical School (St. Louis, MO). September 28, 2018. CFP Here.
- The 2018 World Fantasy Convention – annual gathering of professionals, collectors, and others interested in fantasy art & literature. Features Frankenstein as a 2018 theme. Baltimore, MD. November 1-4, 2018.
- International Conference on the Fantastic in the Arts: 200 Years of the Fantastic: Celebrating Frankenstein and Mary Shelley, Orlando, Florida, March 14-18 2018.
Upcoming Events – International Conferences & Festivals
- The Shelley Conference 2017, Academic conference on the works and lives of Mary and Percy Shelley. Institute for English Studies, London UK. September 15-16, 2017.
- Shelley Frankenstein Festival 2017, Bournemouth, UK. November 2017. More info TBA on their website.
- Performance of Shelley’s Heart, an interactive play. Shelley Theatre House, UK. November 25 & 26, 2017.
- Festival Shelley, celebration of the Shelleys in Viareggio, Italy, the seaside town where Percy Bysshe Shelley was cremated. Events ongoing from April 27 to September 12, 2017.
Past Events – All Types & Locations
- Frankenstein panel at SFRA, the Science Fiction Research Association conference. University of California, Riverside, July 2017.
- Frankenstein Then and Now: discussion of the ongoing cultural issues raised by Frankenstein. The Huntington Library, San Marino, CA. May 2017.
- The Spawn of Frankenstein: Event celebrating Mary Shelley’s novel via Future Tense, a partnership of Slate, New America, and Arizona State University. Washington, DC, February 2017.
- Frankenstein at EMERGE: Frankenstein served as the theme for EMERGE, an annual transmedia art, science and technology festival. Tempe, AZ, February 2017.
- Frankenstein’s Shadow: A Bicentennial Assessment of the Frankenstein Narrative’s Influence on biotechnology, medicine and policy. Cologny, Switzerland, June 2016.
- Creation of Darkness: Exhibit about the inspiration of Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein. Bodmer Foundation, Cologny, Switzerland, May through October 2016.
- 200 Years of Frankenstein at the Liverpool Literary Festival. Liverpool, UK, October 2016.
- Performance of Philip Pullman’s Frankenstein, via Young Everyman Playhouse. Liverpool, UK, October 2016.
- The Science of Frankenstein. Exhibit at the University of Iowa, 2015.
- Frankenstein: Penetrating the Secrets of Nature. Exhibit at the University of Iowa, 2012.