Librarian Series CALL Workshops

The first workshop will be Friday, October 18, 2019, 9:00-10:30 a.m. in Orbach Science Library room 240.  The workshop will be repeated Wednesday, October 23, 2019 in Rivera Library room 403, 2:3-4:00 p.m.

Presuming that the 2019-2020 CALL will be out before the workshop, Candidates who know they are up for review and those who think they may be up for review please READ the CALL prior to the workshop.  Review Initiators are also encouraged to read the CALL.  The result could then be that you could bring your questions to the session instead of having to go over points in the CALL in as much depth as last year. 

Call for presenter – LAUC-R Brown Bag Professional Series

The Programs Committee would like to continue hosting quarterly gatherings in its Brown Bag Professional Series.

Do you have a presentation you’d like to share with your colleagues in Fall 2019 – perhaps one you’ve already given, or one you’re about to give at a conference? If so, please let the Committee know sometime in the next few weeks. We can coordinate on scheduling the brown bag on a day that works for you.

A Dim Sum of Conferences, July 24

Do you have questions about the “alphabet soup” of library conferences – for instance, what’s the difference between CARL, ACRL and CLA? Which conference covers my area, by topic and/or geographically? What steps would I take to present at a conference?

An upcoming LAUC-R program titled A Dim Sum* of Conferences will address these and other questions.

The program will be held on Wednesday, July 24, from 1:30 – 3:00 pm in Rivera Library, Room 140. 

At this informal panel-like discussion, LAUC-R members will share their knowledge and experiences regarding conferences at which they have recently presented, including ACRL, CARL, CLA, CNI, DLF, LILi … and more! Light refreshments will be served.

This program is a collaboration between the LAUC-R Programs Committee and the LAUC-R Research & Professional Development Committee.

Join us to gain insight for choosing your own “heart’s delight” of conference opportunities that may further your professional growth.

Roster 2019-2020

Chair: Ken Furuta
Vice-Chair/Chair-Elect: Swati Bhattacharyya
Secretary: Jessica Geiser
Delegate: Brianna Marshall
Alternate Delegate: Judy Lee
Past Chair:  Kent LaCombe

Parliamentarian:
Alternate Parliamentarian:



CAPA-L:
Chair: Kat Koziar
Yoko Kudo
Dani Cook
Kuei Chiu [1st alternate]
Robin Katz [2nd alternate]

2019 LAUC Assembly – Zoom access

If you are unable to attend assembly this coming Thursday, March 28th in person and would like to log in virtually via Zoom access using a laptop or desktop computer, or via your phone or mobile device, the access information is below;

Carla Arbagey is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: LAUC Assembly

Time: Mar 28, 2019 9:30 AM Pacific Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting

https://ucrengage.zoom.us/j/383079104

One tap mobile

+16699006833,,383079104# US (San Jose)

+16468769923,,383079104# US (New York)

Dial by your location

        +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)

        +1 646 876 9923 US (New York)

Meeting ID: 383 079 104

Find your local number: https://zoom.us/u/adkP0Cs8DD

Membership Meeting, Dec. 13, 2018

Location: Rivera Library Room#403
Time: 1 – 2:30 PM

Members present:
ARBAGEY, CARLA A
BHATTACHARYA, SWATI
CHIU, KUEI
CICCHETTI, CHRISTINA R.
COOK, DANIELLE
CORTEZ, ELISA
FRENKEL, ANN
FURUTA, KENNETH R.
KATZ, ROBIN M
KOZIAR, KATHERINE E.
LACOMBE, KENT E
LEE, JUDY
LIPPERT, ANDREW
MANDEVILLE-GAMBLE, STEVEN
MOXHAM, TIFFANY
POTTER, MICHELE W.
REYES, JANET
RIOS, DAVID W.
SMITH-HUNT, ANNE P.
URRIZOLA, MANUEL M.
YONEZAWA, MICHAEL M.

  1. Kent welcomed the members and drew attention to the meeting guidelines posted on the whiteboard
  2. Update from UL :
    1. On the negotiation with journal publishers: He gave a description about the background work of the briefing session for faculty regarding the status of these negotiations which was to take place on Thursday, December 13, 2018, 2pm to 3:30pm in Orbach Library room 240. Faculty is supporting the move. But Elsevier’s response is not encouraging. After the date when the current contract expires, UC will have access to 85-90% of the collection (subscribed till the date of expiration of the contract). Alternative Access Task Force is set up and working in this area. In the meantime, the story about the situation is getting picked up countrywide. There are a couple of people who are speaking on behalf of UC and the articles are very supportive. There is a plan to conduct periodic open houses until a solution is reached.
    2. Budget: Provost has augmented the collection budget. The library will get one-time money from UCOP for next four years. This will help to manage a part of the inflation.
  3. Updates from Committees
    a. Christina on Committee on Courses: A Task Force formed by the Provost suggested to transform 50 courses to online version. There were many questions from the committee on the report. The Task Force conducted a survey of the students to know their interest. The responses from two student representatives were that they may go for online courses of major interest. Christina will send the link to the report to LAUC-R members. Other questions from LAUC-R members were: whether 50 unique classes are proposed to be transformed.
    b. Dani on Research and Professional Development – the committee will meet soon
    c. Carla on Diversity Committee: looking for doing interesting programs
    d. Janet on Program Committee: have some ideas for Winter quarter
  4. Kent on LAUC-R participation/librarian engagement: Kent requested the members to feel free to engage in LAUC-R. There is a fair amount of confusion about what to expect from LAUC-R. LAUC-R belongs to its members and they should design it. He thanked Dani for offering some suggestions. Kent is looking for ideas.
  5. Individual thoughts on LAUC-R: Kent gave all attendees the chance to either talk about what they would or do value in LAUC-R, or to speak about a recent notable experience at work.
    Among those who spoke about LAUC-R, these points were raised:
    a. LAUC-R should address situations that impact us at work
    i. LAUC-R should be a place where we learn about planning and implementation of changes affecting our libraries
    b. We should be able to discuss the weaknesses and strengths of our departments
    c. A few people mentioned that they value seeing their colleagues and hearing what they are up to
    d. LAUC-R should step up to fulfill its potential
    i. A few questioned whether LAUC-R really does advise library administration – if not, could it start doing so?
    ii. There’s a feeling that if LAUC-R isn’t being listened to, why bother participating?
    e. LAUC-R could do more to support our peers going through academic review
    i. In particular, provide more support for “b, c, and d” criteria for review
    Find a community of practice for research
    f. It would help participation if some of the confusing things about LAUC-R are cleared up
    i. Difference between role of the union vs. role of LAUC-R
    ii. Difference between the Diversity Committee and CODEI
    iii. Take the time to explain jargon being used
    g. Time conflicts hamper participation
  6. LAUC Assembly
    a. UCR is the host – date is Thursday, March 28, 2019
    b. A theme is “LAUC engagement”
    c. We need to form organizing committees
    i. Promotion – create a digital presence (LibGuide?) for registration, directions, etc.
    Dani volunteered to be on this committee
    ii. Local Arrangements
    Parking, signage
    Airport transportation
    Reserve a block of hotel rooms – at the Mission Inn, or elsewhere?
    iii. Kent will send an email to LAUC-R membership about the Assembly, asking for more volunteers

Meeting Adjourned 2:30 pm

Minutes by Swati Bhattacharyya, LAUC-R Secretary and Janet Reyes

Membership Meeting, Aug. 31, 2018

Attendees: Kent LaCombe, Vice-Chair/Chair-Elect; David Rios, Chair; Janet Reyes; Carla Arbagey;
Andrew Lippert; Ken Furuta; Jessica Geiser; Ying Shen; Christina Cicchetti; JJ Jacobson; Kuei Chiu; Swati Bhattacharyya; Patricia Smith-Hunt; Michael Yonezawa; Kat Koziar; Noah Geraci; Cherry Williams; Ann Frenkel; Steve Mandeville-Gamble

Called to order at 11:17 am by David Rios

New Business

a. Michael moved that the minutes of the May 25, 2018 meeting be approved. Kent seconded. MOTION CARRIED.

b. The LAUC-R roster for 2018-19 is as follows:
Chair Kent LaCombe
Vice-Chair/Chair Elect Ken Furuta
Secretary Swati Bhattacharyya
Delegates Janet Reyes; Dani Cook (alternate)
Webmaster Yoko Kudo

Carla Arbagey will remain on the Executive Board by virtue of being the immediate past chair of LAUC systemwide.

c. Committee reports
Programs – Janet reported that Programs Committee sponsored or cosponsored nine programs during 2017-18, including the successful launch of the Brown Bag Professional Series. Total attendance for all programs was 136. The successes were attributable to the ideas and efforts of the committee members.

No other committee reports were given.

d. Chair’s report
David said his year-end report is in progress.

In 2017-18 LAUC-R lost six members and gained one. Currently there are 30 members.

The LAUC-R budget for 2018-19 has been approved. Individual members will once again be allocated $1500 in professional development funds.

During the year, David and Carla met with the Chancellor. One outcome was that academic non-senate UCR employees (which includes librarians) are now invited to participate in events such as New Student Convocation and Commencement. He recommended that we take advantage of these newly-gained opportunities.

David awarded certificates to the following individuals:
Carla Arbagey, for all her service to LAUC and LAUC-R
Janet Reyes, for serving as LAUC-R secretary and Programs committee chair
Kat Koziar, for her service as LAUC-R past Chair and as chair of CCRJE in 2017-18
Yoko Kudo, for serving as LAUC-R webmaster since 2012

David passed the gavel to Kent along with a gift for the incoming chair.

Meeting adjourned 11:36 am
Minutes prepared by Janet Reyes, Secretary

Professional Brown Bag Series, Jan. 31, 2019 – Building Digital Collections

Please join the LAUC-R Programs Committee as it hosts the Winter 2019 presentation in its Brown Bag Professional Series: “Building Impactful Digital Collections through Digitization.”

The brown bag will take place on Thursday, January 31 from 12:00 to 1:00 pm in Orbach Library G35.

Eric Milenkiewicz, Digitization Services Program Manager, will discuss the process for building digital collections through the Library’s ongoing digitization efforts.

After Eric provides a snapshot of the current landscape, we’ll have a group brainstorming session centered on key areas that affect the identification and development of impactful library digital collections.

Roster 2018-2019

Chair: Kent LaCombe
Vice-Chair/Chair-Elect: Ken Furuta
Secretary: Swati Bhattacharyya
Delegate: Janet Reyes
Alternate Delegate: Dani Cook
Past Chair: David Rios

Parliamentarian: Manuel Urrizola
Alternate Parliamentarian: Carla Arbagey

Representatives to LAUC Systemwide Committees
Diversity: Carla Arbagey
Research and Professional Development: Dani Cook
Professional Governance: Cherry Williams

Committee on Committees, Rules, Jurisdiction, and Elections
Chair: Kat Koziar (2nd year)
Carla Arbagey (2nd year)
David Rios (1st year)
Noah Geraci (Alternate)

Committee on Diversity
Chair: Carla Arbagey (1st year)
Ying Shen (2nd year)
Michael Yonezawa (1st year)

Committee on Personnel
Chair: Ken Furuta (1st year)
Jessica Geiser (1st year)
Swati Bhattacharyya (1st year)
Christina Cicchetti (1st year)

Committee on Research & Professional Development
Chair: Dani Cook (1st year)
Kat Koziar (2nd year)
Christina Cicchetti (1st year)

Committee on Professional Governance
Chair: Cherry Williams (1st year)
Tiffany Moxham (2nd year)
Patricia Smith-Hunt (2nd year)

Committee on Programs
Chair: Janet Reyes (1st year)
Judy Lee (2nd year)
Michele Potter (2nd year)
Robin Katz (1st year)

Committee on Mentoring
Chair:

Academic Senate:  Representative to

Committee on Courses: Christina Cicchetti
Committee on Library & Scholarly Communication:

CAPA-L:
Chair: David Rios
Kat Koziar
Yoko Kudo
Robin Katz [1st alternate]
Kuei Chiu [2nd alternate]

Membership Meeting: May 25, 2018

Orbach Science Library Room 240

Attendees: Kent LaCombe, Vice-Chair/Chair-Elect; Ann Frenkel; Janet Reyes; Michael Yonezawa; Carla Arbagey; Ying Shen; Kuei Chiu; Manuel Urrizola; Rhonda Neugebauer; Christina Cicchetti; Andrew Lippert; Eric Milenkiewicz; Noah Geraci; Michele Potter; Swati Bhattacharrya; Kat Koziar
Called to order at 11:10 am by Kent LaCombe, presiding in the absence of David Rios

1. Acknowledgment of new and departing LAUC-R members
Kent welcomed Andrew Lippert, Special Collections Processing Archivist and our newest LAUC-R member. Andrew received a custom-made LAUC-R mug as a welcome gift.

Rhonda Neugebauer, currently the Collection Strategist for Arts and Humanities, is retiring after 17 years of service at UCR Library. Kent acknowledged the many contributions Rhonda has made to LAUC-R, diversity, the library, and librarianship generally. She spoke of her efforts assisting libraries in Cuba as being a particularly meaningful part of her career. Rhonda received a certificate of appreciation and two custom-made LAUC-R glassware items.

2. New Business
a. Due to the lack of a quorum, the minutes from the March 26, 2018 meeting could not be approved. Kent said that the minutes will be sent out for approval via email.

b. Kat stated that LAUC-R elections are currently in progress. The ballots include LAUC-R candidates, choices for LAUC officers, and a change to the LAUC bylaws. Choices for CAPA-L members were also included on ballots sent to LAUC-R members who are eligible to vote for CAPA-L candidates.
As stated in an email to LAUC-R members, there were no candidates for LAUC-R Vice-Chair/Chair-Elect. The ballots include an opportunity to write in a nomination. If a nominee is identified and accepts the nomination, a special election will take place to vote for the office.

c. Committee reports
i. CCRJE – Kat reported that members have had the opportunity to comment on proposed changes to the bylaws. The committee is now separating out some portions of the existing bylaws to standing rules. The process is going fairly quickly. CCRJE is also awaiting input from another committee regarding one section of the bylaws.
ii. Programs – Janet reported that the May 10 presentation by Trina Ray on the Cassini Mission to Saturn was a success. A link to a video recording of the program is available. Michele mentioned the hard work Janet and committee members did behind the scenes as the result of last-minute complications.
The committee will coordinate a program in mid- to late August, which will be a virtual reality experience.
iii. Kent said that the Diversity Committee invited a speaker, who declined. No other activities are in the works.

d. The year-end meeting will be on August 31, from 11:10 – 12:00 in Orbach 240. Refreshments will be served.

e. After the departure of Kimberlee Frederick, no one is currently coordinating the Library Insider. Kat and Michele suggested that this outlet of creativity, reviews, and news sharing could be kept going in the form of a zine. Individuals could contribute a page, and when enough pages are received the zine could be compiled. A few hard copies could be distributed, and if desired a digital version could be made by scanning the pages.
Page contributions for the first zine can be sent to Michele or Kat.

Meeting adjourned 11:35 am
Minutes prepared by Janet Reyes, Secretary