Membership meeting minutes are no longer added to this website. Please contact the LAUC-R Chair or Secretary if you have any questions.
You are invited to attend a multi-campus LAUC program featuring a panel of librarians, who will answer questions from the recent survey (see below) about professional development. The event will take place on May 17th from noon-1:00pm. Check LAUC-R listserv for Zoom information.
Next week Thursday, March 3, 2022, 12:00-1:00 PM, the LAUC-R Committee on Programs will once again be hosting our bi-monthly colleague check-in.
This check-in meeting will take place in Gather. NOTE: you do not need to log in or sign in to participate in our check-in meeting. However, please plan on joining at the top of the hour to allow yourself at least 5 minutes to customize your avatar, plus there is a mini-tutorial to walk you through the basics of navigating and interacting with objects throughout the meeting space.
The only thing you will absolutely need is the link: https://app.gather.town/app/74vgK2yjVxu7wken/LAUC-R
Please make sure to use a device with speakers/headphones and a microphone. And for the best all-around experience a camera/web-camera as well.
NOTE: Gather on a mobile device has limited functionality. Using a Desktop device is suggested. The most important tips involve movement and opening and closing interactive objects.
- Move by using arrows or right click on where you want to go and select “move here”
- Open interactive objects by pressing x
- Close out of interactive objects by clicking on the x in the upper right-hand corner or hitting the esc key.
Shout out to Michele Potter for suggesting Gather and for setting up our meeting space.
Assembly is just a few weeks away!
Assembly will take place as originally scheduled on March 15 at UCSB
- The in-person program on March 15 will focus on the business meeting in the morning, with more informal LAUC-related conversation and campus tours in the afternoon
- At least the business meeting will be held both in-person and on Zoom
We will hold additional LAUC-wide programming (discussions about PI status, DEI issues, etc.) virtually, separate from Assembly, over the course of the remaining academic year
Assembly webpage and registration
- Webpage and registration: https://lauc.ucop.edu/calendar/statewide-assembly-2022
- Funding: We don’t want travel cost to be a hindrance for anyone, so I am pleased to report that we will have grant funds available to cover Assembly travel for many of our members! You can request such funding on the registration page.
Our Assembly Planning Committee weighed many considerations and ultimately focused on accomplishing two main goals:
1) The first goal in planning and hosting an Assembly is to maintain the tradition of assembling in person and physically experiencing a different campus each year. The LAUC bylaws support this structure, in that each campus is to send 2-5 members/delegates each year to represent the librarians on those campuses.
2) An additional goal is to engage our membership in thought-provoking discussions about issues affecting librarians. Our last two Assemblies, held virtually due to the pandemic, established that these heavier discussions may be richer when they include as many LAUC members as possible. To that end, they are often well suited to a virtual format that can host more people. We find that, at least this year, these sessions should be held outside of Assembly and spread out over the course of the academic year, so as to not overwhelm members with one-day, nonstop programming.
The current division of programming allows us to meet both of our goals and to include the largest number of total participants. The survey responses we received confirmed that there is significant interest in both in-person and virtual components. While we know that there is no perfect solution that will satisfy all needs, we are confident that the current plan provides the best possible balance.
LAUC-R Programs Committee – Librarian Colleague Check-Ins
Thursday, Nov. 4, 2021, from 12:00-1:00 pm
This week’s colleague check-in will be 100% remote. Looking forward to learning more about the interesting, innovative, and impactful activities of LAUC-R members, or just spending some time discussing anything of interest to the membership.
Zoom information has been sent out to the LACU-R listserv.
LAUC-R Membership Meeting: Tuesday, May 25, 10:00am
LAUC-R Diversity: Peer-to-Peer LibGuide Workshop (now “LibGuide Rubric Review Workshop”): Wednesday, May 26, 11:00am
For Zoom access information, please check email announcements.
Please mark your calendars for the upcoming Academic Review Workshop. The workshop will take place on Monday, October 26, 2020, at 3:00-4:30 PM. Zoom access information has been sent out by email.
All members and those involved in the academic librarian review process should try and attend the workshop, especially those who are new to our Library and will be participating in this year’s review cycle.
If you have questions about the Academic Review process, please submit them on the survey. We also appreciate comments or tips from librarians who have already gone through the review process that would help those who are new to the process.
Our LAUC-R Colleague check-in will be tomorrow, August 27 from 12:00 – 1:00 pm.
Spend a lunch hour in conversation with your colleagues! Topics may include:
- your thoughts on how LAUC-R can support you in the year ahead
- professional accomplishments, projects, and conferences attended this summer.
- how we’re adapting to the differences of working remotely: technology, time management, colleague and patron interaction – you name it!
Please see the calendar item attached to the email announcement for how to connect to the meeting.
The 2020 Assembly is taking place online this coming Monday, July 13 beginning at 9:30 am! The agenda for the day, along with other essential logistics information is centralized on this document: https://tinyurl.com/LAUC2020.
Save the Date — Monday, July 13, 2020 — (Virtual) 2020 LAUC Assembly.
The event will run on this schedule:
9:30 – Convene, opening business, and President’s welcome
10:00 – UC Berkeley UL Jeffrey MacKie-Mason will join us at 10 for welcoming remarks
10:10 – 11:30 LAUC committee reports and discussion
[Break for lunch (and catching up email, probably)]
2-3:30 Breakout discussions
3:30-4 Full assembly discussion of breakout topics, and wrap up
We’ll send a registration form around shortly.
While you can join the assembly if you have not registered in advance, doing so will help us plan for the discussion group topics and organization. So, please be on the lookout for that form either later this week, or early next week.