LAUC Assembly Save the Date

Save the Date — Monday, July 13, 2020 — (Virtual) 2020 LAUC Assembly.

The event will run on this schedule:

9:30 – Convene, opening business, and President’s welcome
10:00 – UC Berkeley UL Jeffrey MacKie-Mason will join us at 10 for welcoming remarks
10:10 – 11:30 LAUC committee reports and discussion
[Break for lunch (and catching up email, probably)]
2-3:30 Breakout discussions
3:30-4 Full assembly discussion of breakout topics, and wrap up

We’ll send a registration form around shortly.

While you can join the assembly if you have not registered in advance, doing so will help us plan for the discussion group topics and organization. So, please be on the lookout for that form either later this week, or early next week.

LAUC-R Brown Bag Professional Series – Feb. 19

For the Winter event in the LAUC-R Brown Bag Professional Series, Kat Koziar and David Rios will give a presentation on Wednesday, February 19, from 12:00 – 1:00 in Rivera Library, Room 140.

David and Kat will speak on Supporting “Along the Chaparral: Memorializing the Enshrined.”

“When UC Riverside partnered with the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs National Cemetery Administration’s Veterans Legacy Program on a multi-year, federally-commissioned project called Along the Chaparral: Memorializing the Enshrined, Principal Investigator Allison Hedge Coke asked Data Librarian Kat Koziar to build the foundation for the project’s data management” (UCR Library News, May 8 2019). Kat used this opportunity to provide a wider array of library support that included recruiting Special Research Projects Director David Rios to assist with local history and archival genealogical research. Along the Chaparral has multiple outputs, including two print anthologies, a film, a documentary, live performances, and an interactive GIS app that shares the life stories of more than 1,000 individuals interred at Riverside National Cemetery.

Join us on the 19th as our colleagues fill us in on the pivotal roles they played in this unique collaborative project.

Brown bag – Librarian colleague check-in, December 4

A gentle reminder that tomorrow, Wednesday, December 4, from 12:00 – 1:00 pm in Rivera Library Room 140, the LAUC-R Programs Committee has arranged a brown bag gathering where all can share:

  • Recent professional accomplishments
  • Interesting projects in progress / on the horizon / being considered
  • Conference reports
  • Questions and suggestions
  • Other

We hope you can bring a lunch and take this opportunity to connect with each other!

Librarian Series CALL Workshops

The first workshop will be Friday, October 18, 2019, 9:00-10:30 a.m. in Orbach Science Library room 240.  The workshop will be repeated Wednesday, October 23, 2019 in Rivera Library room 403, 2:3-4:00 p.m.

Presuming that the 2019-2020 CALL will be out before the workshop, Candidates who know they are up for review and those who think they may be up for review please READ the CALL prior to the workshop.  Review Initiators are also encouraged to read the CALL.  The result could then be that you could bring your questions to the session instead of having to go over points in the CALL in as much depth as last year. 

Call for presenter – LAUC-R Brown Bag Professional Series

The Programs Committee would like to continue hosting quarterly gatherings in its Brown Bag Professional Series.

Do you have a presentation you’d like to share with your colleagues in Fall 2019 – perhaps one you’ve already given, or one you’re about to give at a conference? If so, please let the Committee know sometime in the next few weeks. We can coordinate on scheduling the brown bag on a day that works for you.

A Dim Sum of Conferences, July 24

Do you have questions about the “alphabet soup” of library conferences – for instance, what’s the difference between CARL, ACRL and CLA? Which conference covers my area, by topic and/or geographically? What steps would I take to present at a conference?

An upcoming LAUC-R program titled A Dim Sum* of Conferences will address these and other questions.

The program will be held on Wednesday, July 24, from 1:30 – 3:00 pm in Rivera Library, Room 140. 

At this informal panel-like discussion, LAUC-R members will share their knowledge and experiences regarding conferences at which they have recently presented, including ACRL, CARL, CLA, CNI, DLF, LILi … and more! Light refreshments will be served.

This program is a collaboration between the LAUC-R Programs Committee and the LAUC-R Research & Professional Development Committee.

Join us to gain insight for choosing your own “heart’s delight” of conference opportunities that may further your professional growth.

Roster 2019-2020

Chair: Ken Furuta (-Dec. 2019); Swati Bhattacharyya (-Jan. 2020); David Rios (pro tem)
Vice-Chair/Chair-Elect: Swati Bhattacharyya (-Jan. 2020); Vacant (Feb. 2020-)
Secretary: Jessica Geiser
Delegate: Brianna Marshall
Alternate Delegate: Judy Lee
Past Chair:  Kent LaCombe (-Jan. 2020); David Rios (Feb. 2020-)

Alternate Parliamentarian:

Chair: Kat Koziar
Yoko Kudo
Dani Cook
Kuei Chiu [1st alternate]
Robin Katz [2nd alternate](-Jan. 2020); Jessica Geiser (Feb. 2020-)

Representatives to LAUC Systemwide Committees
Diversity: Carla Arbagey
Research and Professional Development: Dani Cook
Professional Governance: Cherry Williams

Committee on Committees, Rules, Jurisdiction, and Elections
Chair: David Rios (2nd year)
Michele Potter (1st year)
Noah Geraci (1st year)
Patricia Smith-Hunt (Alternate)

Committee on Diversity
Chair: Carla Arbagey (2nd year)
Ying Shen (1st year)
Michael Yonezawa (2nd year)
Judy Lee (1st year)

Committee on Personnel
Chair: Christina Cicchetti (pro tem) (2nd year)
Jessica Geiser (2nd year)
Michael Yonezawa (1st year)
Carla Arbagey (1st year)

Committee on Research & Professional Development
Co-Chair: Dani Cook (2nd year)
Co-Chair: Christina Cicchetti (2nd year)
Kat Koziar (1st year)

Committee on Professional Governance
Chair: Cherry Williams (2nd year)
Tiffany Moxham (1st year)
Andrea Hoff (1st year)

Committee on Programs
Chair: Janet Reyes (2nd year)
Judy Lee (1st year)
Michele Potter (1st year)
Robin Katz (2nd year)

Committee on Mentoring

Academic Senate:  Representative to
Committee on Courses: Cherry Williams
Committee on Library & Scholarly Communication: Steven Mandeville-Gamble

2019 LAUC Assembly – Zoom access

If you are unable to attend assembly this coming Thursday, March 28th in person and would like to log in virtually via Zoom access using a laptop or desktop computer, or via your phone or mobile device, the access information is below;

Carla Arbagey is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: LAUC Assembly

Time: Mar 28, 2019 9:30 AM Pacific Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting

One tap mobile

+16699006833,,383079104# US (San Jose)

+16468769923,,383079104# US (New York)

Dial by your location

        +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)

        +1 646 876 9923 US (New York)

Meeting ID: 383 079 104

Find your local number:

Membership Meeting, Dec. 13, 2018

Location: Rivera Library Room#403
Time: 1 – 2:30 PM

Members present:

  1. Kent welcomed the members and drew attention to the meeting guidelines posted on the whiteboard
  2. Update from UL :
    1. On the negotiation with journal publishers: He gave a description about the background work of the briefing session for faculty regarding the status of these negotiations which was to take place on Thursday, December 13, 2018, 2pm to 3:30pm in Orbach Library room 240. Faculty is supporting the move. But Elsevier’s response is not encouraging. After the date when the current contract expires, UC will have access to 85-90% of the collection (subscribed till the date of expiration of the contract). Alternative Access Task Force is set up and working in this area. In the meantime, the story about the situation is getting picked up countrywide. There are a couple of people who are speaking on behalf of UC and the articles are very supportive. There is a plan to conduct periodic open houses until a solution is reached.
    2. Budget: Provost has augmented the collection budget. The library will get one-time money from UCOP for next four years. This will help to manage a part of the inflation.
  3. Updates from Committees
    a. Christina on Committee on Courses: A Task Force formed by the Provost suggested to transform 50 courses to online version. There were many questions from the committee on the report. The Task Force conducted a survey of the students to know their interest. The responses from two student representatives were that they may go for online courses of major interest. Christina will send the link to the report to LAUC-R members. Other questions from LAUC-R members were: whether 50 unique classes are proposed to be transformed.
    b. Dani on Research and Professional Development – the committee will meet soon
    c. Carla on Diversity Committee: looking for doing interesting programs
    d. Janet on Program Committee: have some ideas for Winter quarter
  4. Kent on LAUC-R participation/librarian engagement: Kent requested the members to feel free to engage in LAUC-R. There is a fair amount of confusion about what to expect from LAUC-R. LAUC-R belongs to its members and they should design it. He thanked Dani for offering some suggestions. Kent is looking for ideas.
  5. Individual thoughts on LAUC-R: Kent gave all attendees the chance to either talk about what they would or do value in LAUC-R, or to speak about a recent notable experience at work.
    Among those who spoke about LAUC-R, these points were raised:
    a. LAUC-R should address situations that impact us at work
    i. LAUC-R should be a place where we learn about planning and implementation of changes affecting our libraries
    b. We should be able to discuss the weaknesses and strengths of our departments
    c. A few people mentioned that they value seeing their colleagues and hearing what they are up to
    d. LAUC-R should step up to fulfill its potential
    i. A few questioned whether LAUC-R really does advise library administration – if not, could it start doing so?
    ii. There’s a feeling that if LAUC-R isn’t being listened to, why bother participating?
    e. LAUC-R could do more to support our peers going through academic review
    i. In particular, provide more support for “b, c, and d” criteria for review
    Find a community of practice for research
    f. It would help participation if some of the confusing things about LAUC-R are cleared up
    i. Difference between role of the union vs. role of LAUC-R
    ii. Difference between the Diversity Committee and CODEI
    iii. Take the time to explain jargon being used
    g. Time conflicts hamper participation
  6. LAUC Assembly
    a. UCR is the host – date is Thursday, March 28, 2019
    b. A theme is “LAUC engagement”
    c. We need to form organizing committees
    i. Promotion – create a digital presence (LibGuide?) for registration, directions, etc.
    Dani volunteered to be on this committee
    ii. Local Arrangements
    Parking, signage
    Airport transportation
    Reserve a block of hotel rooms – at the Mission Inn, or elsewhere?
    iii. Kent will send an email to LAUC-R membership about the Assembly, asking for more volunteers

Meeting Adjourned 2:30 pm

Minutes by Swati Bhattacharyya, LAUC-R Secretary and Janet Reyes